Tuesday, September 8, 2009

System 32

I turn on my laptop 2 days ago and I see the dreadful sight every computer owner has nightmares about

"System 32 file not found or is corrupted"

I don't know much about computers, but I knew enough to realize that I just lost everything I had saved in the computer... in other words, I just owned myself.

Without the System 32 file your computer wont work, it wont even open Windows.

What did I do then? I kept pressing "r", restarting the comp over and over again in hopes that the black screen, saying that System 32 file was not found, would magically be replaced with Windows.

After about an hour, I give up and start the search for my recovery disk. Knowing all to well that I needed the recovery disk to fix my computer, but by doing so I would also be deleting years worth of memories.

I scavenge my room, let me rephrase that... I had to pick my room apart in hopes of finding the recovery disk that came in a box of the laptop I bought 4 years ago.

Well, good news, I found the recovery disk and my computer is exactly as it was when I first bought it, which is also the bad news.

It is amazing how much you can find out about a person by what they have on their computers. All the computer user's interests, websites visited, photos, google searches, work, even EO screenies, all safely taken care of until the computer decides to roll over and die! Then, you discover that your personality is reflected in all that junk you kept in your computer.

Don't worry, it could have been a lot worse, I could have been working on a project at the time...

I even forgot the password for my blogger account... but you guys are not safe yet, you will have to bare with my rants for a while longer.

Ok, im off to get my #1 screenie, for about the 4th time.

9 comments:

  1. Lol, this has happened to me one to many times until i stop downloading from a particular site now i am clean :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...all my wedding screenies gone (J/K). Sorry to hear that Sano but theres lots of more memories to be made. I'm kind of impressed you knew what to do. I'd still be sitting here looking at a black screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate to hear it bud, This is the reason I keep a backup drive that syncs with my Pc HD every week.

    We've all had this happen I'm sure or at least something along these lines. Glad to hear you found your recovery disk. This is somewhat how I lost all my old EO screenshots from v.10x-v.12, Except mine was hard drive failure *cries*

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, yeah... Damn screenies. I know I should keep backup cds for these kind of things but im way to lazy for that.

    Mount... you will just have to get married again :) and Locojen too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mount! I took some screenies of your wedding! ;) I'd be happy to sent them to you!

    Diz

    ReplyDelete
  6. next time this happens, try this=

    Turn on your computer, from a cold start. As your computer is startin, within the first few seconds, hit f6 over and over. Once accepted you will hear a odd beep, then stop. This MIGHT bring you to a screen, "last known good config".

    The main issue with this, is it could be f6, f8, or f11, depending on your OS. I know a little about computers, i would have to ask, what initiated this? Were you on myspace, or youtube? Both computer killers, FYI.

    Oh, for those reading this, that speed. Speed kills your HD rater fast, by overclocking it. Your computer will BURN. (hehe)

    Neway, if neone has minor computer issues, and wants some help..medcatdvet@hotmail.com
    Hard to remember? Cannot help you...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, another thing....If you have Qwest, they offer online back up of file (pics, and smaller stuff, no full computer back-up)
    Other sites do to, but if you happen to have qwest, they offer it for free. 2GB, but that isnt to bad, considering.

    Med

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lost my first screenies too... Once I uninstalled eo and installed it back because something was wrong, it didn't even solve the problem back then but I lost every single screenie I had. I liked my screenies... Actually when I bought my new laptop I saved my new (which are old now) screenies on it.

    Still... it's kinda sad to not have them there. Like you said: "you discover that your personality is reflected in all that junk you kept in your computer". I liked that line.

    Anyway gotta go back to ∫, reading about generations, history and more stuff... Good luck

    ReplyDelete